Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Movie Review-The Dark Knight


One word....wow

I usually don't have a lot to say about movies. It's hard to believe that a movie is THAT good and everyone believes it. I don't know of anyone that has anything bad to say about The Dark Knight. I was in New York when it came out so I missed my standard midnight movie. I should've done it, but in the city that never sleeps I figured I had plenty of time. So on Sunday(opening weekend), I tried to catch an early evening show. Boy was I wrong!! The line was was down the block! I guess it didnt help that I went to Times Square so of COURSE it would be packed. On Sunday though?? Yeah...42nd street on a Sunday was crazy as is.....(but that's another blog). So I went to Cold Stone Creamery, walked around a bit to walk it off, people watched for awhile and made my way home.
I didn't get to see The Dark Knight until the following weekend on a Sunday in the early evening in Columbus, Ohio. Still the movie was stacked. Aight, so the scene is set.

Hard to say that the allure around Heath Ledger and his last movie wasn't a big draw. But I will say that it was quickly melted away by his acting as the Joker. With a few ties to the first Batman Begins, this story is entirely new. Crime is coming to an end with Batman on the streets. The mob boss' need a way to get rid of him. In comes the Joker, who says that pay him and he'll take care of the Batman for half of the mob bosses total earnings. They agree and The Joker goes on a chaotic mayhem throughout the city with some notable characters dying throughout the film. That always makes for good cinema, these subtle twists here and there.

Of course there left room for another one and I havent heard anything just quite yet but I'm sure thee will be. This brand of Dark Knight, will defiitely keep people coming back. Now although we liked the special effects and style and charisma of Spiderman and his 3 movies so far, I definitely look forward to another Batman.

Now I did notice that the movie wasnt as dark(physical lighting and scenes) as previous ones and less likely to have weird scenes. That's okay to me because that means they removed the cartoon goofyness that we've seen in past movies. I like the use of special effects especially the introduction of the motorcycle. The fight scene with the Joker was pretty good to me but I really liked the bike. One of the funniest scenes in the movie was the Joker in the nurses outfit talking to TwoFace. I especially like the scene in the end where the hospital didn't quite blow up and then he hit the remote again etc.

I did have a few hangups. Although minor, it kind of got to me later on. I guess I actually got tired of hearing Batmans voice towards the end. He seemed like he was overdoing it....
Two Face also seemed like he was overacting to me, but I guess with half a face, what do you expect. I also couldnt quite get past the fact that he put his suit BACK on. Wasnt it burned up?

Best movie of the summer...yep. End of discussion..

No comments: