Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Recharging....


So I'm about to make my usual trip to New York. Although I go pretty regularly, I typically take a long trip in the summer to recharge. As a deejay, this is the birth of hip hop music and a lot of things that make me who I am. This year is no different although the trip has been broken up. Totally my fault too, just cause of scheduling. However, there are a few things that I have to do when I'm in New York...



Ride public transportation, in particular the train.
Riding the train is so vital to me. I rode the bus and the train all my formative years growing up, but riding the train just shows how much diversity this city has. It's amazing how many races, cultures and personalities all exist in one train car, let alone 8.

Listen to the radio
As a deejay its important that I try and keep my ear to the street and BREAK NEW RECORDS!! Even with the internet and instant access to music, its important to try and hear what's playing. I scan the radio stations trying to hear what's hot and what's not. I also listen to the mixshow deejays and see what they're doing so I can take it back to good ol' Columbus! My shows are a direct reflection of that(they call me the peoples champ for a reason). The morning shows in New York are also a lot better. More personalities make for a fun time switching stations during the day especially the morning. There is a certain amount of shock value that I don't always like but in general I love listening to the radio.

Walk on Jamaica Ave(Queens NY).
I'm representing putting Queens on the map, has been my motto for awhile now, so its only right that I walk the streets that showed me love all through high school. My dance skills, my mixtapes, my gold caps, my gear(most of it) all came from up and down Jamaica Ave and the infamous Coliseum Mall where I always try and get my Otis Spunkmeyer cookies!! It's nothing to get in a long line outside for a beef patty and coco bread with a sea moss, all while watching a reggae dance dvd. It's nothing to go shoe shopping and hitting up the stores looking for the one pair that NO other store has. I've spent many a day trying to get a fitted hat, some uptowns(Air Force Ones) and a shirt for the low...

Visit Green Acres Mall
Although its changed(new stores etc), its good to get to some higher end stores and see what trends are out there. Although I'm a full blown adult, I like to be somewhat fashionable and trendy. Besides, they have this kiosk there that sells all the hot karate flicks! Im talking the Jon Wu, flying in the air Wu Tang joints which I try to keep up with....

Visit friends and family
This is typically the main reason I go home. Recharge with the energy of my family. There isn't a strong Carribean/West Indian presence in Columbus Ohio, outside of my few friends that I keep in my circle so coming back to New York is bringing me closer to who I truly am. Having my mom cook for me and hanging out with my dad and occasionally my sister(if she's around) is always good. Seeing my cousins, taking my kids to see their cousins is a beautiful thing. The sounds, smells and sights of home take me to a level that I can't reach here in Ohio. My friends continue to grow and we are getting into the real world more. Hard to imagine that we've been in each other lives over 15 years(these are my high school friends I'm talking about) so it warms my heart to get that energy.

Other options
Hit up a movie, goto a club, goto 42nd street, get something to eat, goto a party are all things that I try to do when I come to the city but no guarantees. I make sure I hit up my girl and goto BBQ's(sticky wings are important to me now, lol). After that, its chill hard to come back to Columbus and give up that energy to share with the rest of Columbus, hence Rich NYCe the guy from NY is back!!!

No comments: